03 October 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. This is my platform for holding forth at length on whatever comes to mind, and engaging in conversation (at least when I have a moment) on those topics that interest me, particularly theology.

By way of introduction, I am an American who has lived in northern Germany since 1993. I speak English, of course (well, Brits might argue with that) and fluent German. I'm separated and have two young kids, both of whom live with me part-time and are bilingual (mostly). I was raised in the Episcopal Church in the US, had a phase where I didn't have much to do with church, then groped my way back to faith by exploring various parishes in my area, mostly EKD Lutheran, but generally running away screaming from all of them.

Once I found the Old Catholic parish I'm in now in late 2004, I finally felt at home, and since then I have been doing all kinds of work for the parish -- cantor, diocesan delegate three times, parish council member for five years, webmaster, parish bulletins, acolyte, and whatever else tickles my fancy. I'm something of an unusual animal around here -- I'm one of the few people I know who attends church every Sunday. I also used to go to vespers every Friday, but since the separation, I haven't been able to go as often.

While I would generally be considered a more liberal Christian -- I favor women's ordination, believe homosexuals should be welcome in the church, etc. -- I also have a deep respect and appreciation of the Orthodox Church, and also look forward to a time when Canterbury, Utrecht, Rome and Constantinople are once again united.

Other than theology, I'm also interested in history, cosmology, early music, computers, console games and cooking. I should also mention that while I'm obviously a committed Christian, I also enjoy discussing faith with non-believers as well as with other faiths, and have made many friends over the years doing so.

I'd like this blog to be collegial, friendly, informative, and on the level, but also controversial and engaging. I don't like echo chambers, not even when it's my echo. But I also place great value in mutual respect and decency. Please be sure to abide by that when posting.

So...once again, welcome to my blog, and I hope you enjoy your stay. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to keep posts on topic, to remain calm and friendly, to refrain from personal or profane attacks, and to avoid posting commercial or self-promotional content. Comments that do not meet this standard will be deleted or blocked at the blog owner's sole discretion.